Thursday 3 September 2015

The five capsules of Vedanta

ॐ श्री गुरुभ्यो नमः

Swami Paramarthananda of Chennai, really simplifies the most abstract Vedantic concepts for students. He has summarized the Teaching in five capsules. Am reproducing these capsules in my words. These may be connected to any text while one is studying and just like vitamin capsules, these are to be 'taken' daily. Each word of these capsules is important and to be reflected upon.

1. I am of the nature of eternal and all-pervading consciousness

I am not the body-mind-intellect complex and Vedanta texts use various methods to make us arrive at our real nature - eternal and all pervading consciousness, which is not a part, product or property of the body.

2. I am the only source of permanent  peace, security and happiness

The scriptures repeatedly show us the limitations of relationships, objects, wealth. Understand that anything impermanent can never be a source of security and peace. If any object seemingly gives us happiness, know that to be your own आत्मानन्द​: reflected in a relatively quiet mind.  The scriptures  first inform the beginner, that security and peace can only come from Nitya Ishwara and take us from world-dependence to God-dependence and to God as The Goal to be sought. Then the scriptures take the more mature seeker to the Truth and say -  what you seek is YOU. तत्त्वमसि

3. By my mere presence, I give life to the material body and through the material body I experience the material universe

4. I am not affected by anything that takes place in the material world and in the material body

Understand one fact असङ्गोऽहम् . Several shlokas in the Gita teach this. A typical example

सर्वेन्द्रियगुणाभासं सर्वेन्द्रियविवर्जितम् ।
असक्तं सर्वभृच्चैव निर्गुणं गुणभोक्तृ च ॥

 As one studies the Upanishads, one gets clarity that the world is mere name and form - नामरूप​ deriving its अस्तित्वम् only from Brahman i.e. from ME.  It has no "substantiality" of its own. How can a non-substantial, मिथ्या नामरूप world ever touch me?

5. By forgetting my nature, I convert life into a struggle. Remembering my real nature, my life becomes a blessing, verily a sport. 

दुर्लभं त्रयमेवैतत् दैवानुग्रहहेतुकम् ।
मनुष्यत्वं मुमुक्षुत्वं महापुरुषसंश्रयः ॥

These three are hard to come and come only with God's grace - human birth, desire for liberation, company of the learned and noble. Having got all three, waste not this life!


ॐ तत् सत्